In 1690 Patrick Lamb purchased the land of what is now the Stoke Place estate and built the central three-storey section of the William and Mary house. The grounds were later landscaped by Capability Brown. In 1764 Field Marshal Sir George Howard bought the estate and it became his family’s home for the next 200 years.
The family name became Howard -Vyse when his daughter married General Richard Vyse.
Grays Park road (B4 16) originally continued directly south, from the location of the current mini-roundabout, passing close to the house. This did not please Howard Vyse, so in 1820 he had the road diverted further west, creating the awkward bends that exist today.
He then had the high brick wall built that is still a feature of that corner.
The family had a strong sense of local responsibility, helping to save the Common and running the only charity school in the area.
The property was purchased in 1963 by South Bucks District Council on the death of Major General Sir Richard Howard- Vyse and is contained within the conservation area of Stoke Green. It now operates as a hotel and conference centre, under lease from South Bucks District Council, offering meeting and dining facilities in beautiful surroundings.