The Clock House
The original alms house, founded by Lord Edward Hastings in 1557, was built near St. Giles’ Church. A year later the Hastings Chapel was built on the outside of the Church in the angle of the chancel and the south side as the oratory where the inmates of the alms house could say prayers for their founder. The original alms house was demolished by Thomas Penn and re-built in about 1765 on its present site in Park Road, today this is a private residence called ‘The Clock House’.
In the alms house four poor men and two poor women from the parish were housed and clothed. The men could be ‘sole or married’ but the women were to be ‘sole and unmarried’. The inmates were known as the brethren and sisters.
The building remained in use until 1947 when it was sold because it was in a bad state of repair. Unfortunately no replacement was built.
The sculptured arms of Lord Hastings, a sleeve or ‘manche’ upon a shield, surmounted by a helmet, and surrounded with the ribbon and motto of the Garter, can be seen over the entrance door to the Hastings Chapel at St. Giles’ Church.