The first reference to education in the Parish appeared in 1716, when Mary Salter of West End House left £100 in her will for teaching poor children of the parish “to read, write and cast accounts”.
Several further bequests followed and the first school was built in 1751. By 1800 it had been replaced by a school built in Rogers Lane at a cost of £101. It is still standing but is now divided into three houses, the front one being called “Tuppenny School House” named after the weekly cost of attending the school.
The “First School” in School Lane was built in 1876. Due to the large increase in population, it was necessary to build another school in 1968. The new “Middle School” was placed next door to the old Tuppenny School House in Rogers Lane. The First and Middle Schools were combined under one head teacher in 1996, and renamed Stoke Poges Primary School.
A purpose-built addition to the Rogers Lane site was opened in 2003, at which point the Key Stage One pupils moved to Rogers Lane, the school being renamed ‘The Stoke Poges School’.
The old first school buildings in Rogers Lane reopened as Sefton Park School, a secondary school run by The Fulmer Education Trust, a registered charity, whose aim is ‘to provide a quality full time education for students whose parents appreciate the Christian ethos’.