The Red Lion
The Red Lion at Stoke Green is reputed to have been an inn or public drinking house for over 400 years. The pub and land were formerly part of the estate belonging to the Howard-Vyse family of Stoke Place. Henry Vallis was recorded as the licensee in 1891 and his family, who had been tenants since then, purchased the premises in 1964.
In 1955 the property was scheduled as a building of special architectural interest.
The Dog and Pot
Rogers Lane. The original Public House is known to have existed before 1758, at which time it was called the Dog’s Head and Pottage Pot. It served the residents of West End where there was a thriving community around the north end of Rogers Lane, then called Kiln Lane due to the brick-making nearby. As well as the brick makers, it also served travellers to and from Farnham Common and Hedgerly. It was moved to its present location in 1898 when the road was diverted and the old Dog and Pot apart from the stables were demolished. Close by, the house now known as Winterclyde was once a pub called the Oddfellows Arms. Sadly, the Dog and Pot closed as a pub in November 2011 and has been sold to a property developer.
The Six Bells
Gerrards Cross Road. The original Five Bells was at the bottom of the hill in Sefton Park, opposite the village pond in Bells Hill recreation ground. It moved to the top of the hill in 1822. When a sixth bell was added to the Church peal a new public house called the Six Bells was built half way up the hill and the Five Bells was renamed the Sefton Arms, which was demolished in 1967 when the area was redeveloped. After a change of landlord, the Six Bells closed at the end of 2012 and was advertised for sale. A British Pathe newsreel of a 1969 beard growing competition held at the Six Bells is available to view.
Wexham Street. The earliest mention of ‘The Plough’ is in 1771 when it was known as ’The Plow Victualling House’. When in 1824 a sixth bell was added to the St Giles Church peal, it was brought to the Plough for parishioners to see it before it was taken to the church tower. Three sacks of wheat were thrown down on the floor in triangular fashion in the corner of the bar and the bell crown downwards was fixed between the sacks and filled to the rim with beer.