The Good Neighbour Scheme revolves around a group of volunteers who can help in a number of ways: by giving a lift (particularly for surgery and hospital appointments); by checking a smoke alarm or changing a light bulb; by fixing a tap; by tidying a garden (on a one-off basis); by befriending someone who is lonely or new to the village.
How the scheme works
- Potential clients register with the scheme
- A core group of volunteers take turns to hold the scheme’s dedicated mobile phone.
- They are backed up by a team of volunteers who can give help
- The telephone number of the scheme is made known throughout the community and any client in genuine need (when friends and family are unavailable) can call the line for help
- Each call is matched to an appropriate volunteer.
- All volunteers will have had a DBS check (previously CRB)
An enquiry form for clients and volunteers is available to download using the links below: