Skip to content
Stoke Poges Parish Council

Full Parish Council - Meeting Minutes

Monday 10th July 2023



Present:-Cllr Bagge (Chair), Cllr Bassi, Cllr Carter BEM, Cllr Crocker, Cllr Finan, Cllr Flower, Cllr Knox-Scott, Cllr Moore & Cllr Pritchard.
In Attendance:- Mrs J Simmonds (Clerk)
Also Present:- 2 Members of Public

Agenda Items

057/PC/23 - Public Session Time (7.30 pm-7.45 pm)

The meeting is open to the public and press and fifteen minutes will be reserved, if required, for public comment on items on the agenda. 

Two members of public were present as applications for the Vacancy on the parish Council under agenda item 077/PC/23.

058/PC/23 - Apologies for Absence

APOLOGIES were received from Cllr Cox.

059/PC/23 - Declarations of interest

Members to declare any personal interest in any item of business as defined in the Code of Conduct adopted 2021.  If that interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest as defined in the Code; the member should withdraw from the meeting for that item. 


060/PC/23 - Minutes

RESOLVED to approve the minutes of the Council meeting held on 12 June 2023 which were signed by the Chairman.

061/PC/23 - Beeches Community Board

Nothing to update from Cllr Bassi

NOTED that the request for funding towards a jogging trail in Plough Lane Recreation Ground has been submitted by the Clerk to the board.

062/PC/23 - Buckinghamshire Council Report  

Cllr Bagge reported that the Quarter 1 financial information is being presented to the cabinet tomorrow.

The Country Park is progressing as planned, hoping for a soft opening towards the end of the year

063/PC/23 - Chairman’s/Councillors' Update from last meeting.

Nothing to update.

064/PC/23 - Neighbourhood Plan

Update on Neighbourhood Plan and meetings held with working party and make any decisions necessary.

Cllr Carter reported that the next Zoom meeting is on Thursday to discuss all of the policies and start to talk about the consultation process.

065/PC/23 - Balancing Pond        

  1. NOTED letter outlining decision has been sent to all pond owners as agreed. 
  2. NOTED a letter has been received from representative of owners asking for points to be clarified. To make a decision on a response and agree if this representative be the Parish Councils first point of contact. It was AGREED unanimously that at last month’s meeting a decision had been made for the Parish Council to undertake works therefore the contents of the letter received were not relevant.  It was agreed that the priority for the the Parish Council, Buckinghamshire Highways and surveyors was to ensure that the safety of residents is now paramount and the matter is closed  and no further dialogue will be made for now.  AGREED unanimously not to have the one point of contact as offered as that person is not an owner or a resident of Stoke Poges or a legal representative and therefore any future dialogue will be with owners or a legal representative,
  3. NOTED an email has been received from an owner about removal of trees. To make a decision on a response. AGREED unanimously that the bank has been eroded by the willow trees as advised by specialists and does not currently exist therefore the correspondence does not apply.
  4. NOTED a further letter has been received from a non-owner about flooding to their garden. To make a decision on a response. AGREED unanimously that nothing has changed and previous response still applies.
  5. NOTED unanimously and agreed not to discuss and decide about setting up a managed sinking fund for future maintenance of the balancing pond at this time.
  6. NOTED a thank you and a request from a resident to consider a management programme to keep the banks of the pond clear of undergrowth.  AGREED to ask current grounds man if they can add maintenance to their contract. The Parish Council will revisit this suggestion once the impending works are completed 

066/PC/23 - School Traffic/Traffic Watch Update

Cllr Finan proposed to agree to have to multi-pollutant monitoring sensor fixed as requested by Buckinghamshire Council to the streetlight outside the school, light is maintained by the Parish Council, this was seconded by Cllr Knox-Scott, RESOLVED to agree all in favour.

Cllr Finan requested that the Council write to Joy Morrissey MP and ask for the legislation to be changed around the camera system that currently only works on zig zag lines, to be extended to yellow lines.  AGREED by all for clerk to write.

067/PC/23 - Future Land Sales

NOTED details of list which was re-sent to everyone following the last meeting.  Clerk asked to register interest in Bells Hill Land to lease or purchase when it comes up in 2027.  Clerk asked to find out why Stoke Park is not on the list.

068/PC/23 - Jogging Trail - Plough Lane

Bells Hill Recreation Ground - Footpath Resurfacing - To note and agree new quote to do repairs if received in time to be tabled. - No quote available, defer to next meeting.

069/PC/23 - Bus Shelter Hastings Meadow

RE-DISCUSSED as new information has come to light from Cllr Carter, photos circulated.  It was AGREED unanimously to get the hard standing of the bus stop sided out as far as possible to make more room to stand, and to get a price for a bus shelter and bring back to another meeting.

070/PC/23 - Grey Hoarding Panels - Bells Hill

Request from Cllr Knox-Scott to paint the hoardings. AGREED by all to write to Comfort Homes and ask them to aesthetically decorate, or work with the village to do so.

071/PC/23 - Benches Bells Hill Toddler Area

Request from Cllr Pritchard to place two new benches in the toddler area for parents to sit. AGREED by all to get a price for a new bench.

072/PC/23 - Concern re-spending

NOTED and DISCUSSED email trail with a resident and clerk regarding concerns over spending.  AGREED by all that the correct protocol is followed at all times and if the resident has any issues they should attend a meeting which are all open to the public for comment or the Annual Meeting of the Electorate which is held yearly and speak to the council direct. NOTED that the resident declined invitations to attend a meeting or to stand for the current vacancy of Parish Councillor.

073/PC/23 - RECEIVED and ADOPTED minutes from previous meetings of sub committees and working parties: 

  1. Planning Committee Minutes  22 May 2023 – Agreed/Signed 14 June 2023

074/PC/23 - Finance 

  1.  RECEIVED Financial Summary & Statement Cashbook – June 2023 
  2.  RESOLVED to approve list of cheques/Bacs for signature June 2023 
  3.  RESOLVED Bank reconciliations – June 2023 
  4.  RECEIVED Income & Expenditure Heading Detail/Budget Monitoring – June 2023 
  5.  Interest Rates for bank accounts as requested, to be circulated at the next Finance meeting.

075/PC/23 - Circulars List/Correspondence and Items received by clerk but not on agenda. 

List appended to the agenda of all circulars received in the office and available to view for one month after this meeting.

076/PC/23 - NOTED Dates of Future Meetings

Recreation & Environment Meeting – to follow this meeting 10 July 2023


Planning Committee Meeting – 17 July 2023

Finance Committee Meeting – 19 July 2023 at 2.30pm.

Planning Committee Meeting – 14 August 2023

Full Parish Council Meeting – 11 September 2023

077/PC/23 –Vacancy Co-Option

Applications Circulated. (1) & (2)

Meeting  adjourned at 8.42pm to allow two applicants to speak and for councillors to ask questions. Both applicants addressed the council each taking a turn to step outside of the room.  

Meeting re-started at 8.55pm

AGREED by all that the Co-option process will be followed as per Standing Orders.

Cllr Crocker proposed that the Council agree to Co-opt this evening, this was seconded by Cllr Pritchard, RESOLVED to agree unanimously.

Cllr Knox-Scott proposed that the vote be by a paper ballot as per standing orders, this was seconded by Cllr Pritchard, RESOLVED to agree unanimously.  

NOTED Applicants may stay for the vote or leave if they wish and be advised of the outcome within 24 hours.

A paper ballot was taken and resulted in Mr Steve Webster being co-opted to the Council.  Mr Webster signed a declaration of acceptance of office in front of the Clerk who also signed.  Mr Webster was welcomed by the council.

Meeting ended at 9.01pm.